Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pita Bread!


A friend of mine has a friend who has a vegan blog: Novel Eats. When he forwarded me the link to this blog the first thing I came across was a recipe for Pita. Well it NEVER occurred to me to make my own pita so I was intrigued. Vegans reading here are probably aware that it isn't always easy to find pita that is vegan, or that doesn't have a ton of preservatives, and when you do find it it's not always cheap.

Well I'm here to tell ya: make your own! It's super easy and fun!

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here, rather I'll refer you to Novel Eats where there are detailed directions. But I will tell you that rather than bake my pitas in the oven - it's summer, a hot oven isn't something I was in the mood for today - I cooked them on a cast iron griddle on top of the stove and it worked very well.

I also used only whole wheat flour (because that's what I had) and while some comments on other blogs say that whole wheat tends not to 'puff' I didn't have any issues. They puffed, they cooked in only minutes and hello saving the money!

video

After they cooled I put them in a zip-lock bag... I don't think they'll last long.

Many thanks to Tom-Jim for sending me to Novel Eats!

P.S. Hummus Here and Here.

No comments: