Sunday, December 7, 2008

Quinoa and whateveryagot Pilaf

This time of year with all the running around, parties, shopping, and cooking for guests it not a time you really feel like going all-out for an everyday sort of meal. But the great thing about Vegan cooking is that you can make something really tasty that seems really special in next to no time.

I threw together this pilaf with things I happened to have on hand - I wasn't going shopping just to make a quick pilaf for lunch. So this is what I came up with - and I have to say, I'm very pleased with the results!

Quinoa and Whateveryagot Pilaf

1 c. uncooked quinoa
2 1/4 c. vegetable broth
1 T. olive oil
1 small yellow onion diced
1 carrot diced small
1 celery stalk diced small
2 cloves garlic minced
3/4 t. dried marjoram
1/8 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. turmeric
a good pinch of salt
handful of roasted cashews
half handful of yellow raisins
half handful of sunflower seeds
1 can chickpeas (drained)

Saute the onions, carrots and celery in the oil for about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, spices and quinoa and continue cooking until the garlic is fragrant (don't let it burn!) Then add the broth cashews, raisins, sunflower seeds and bring it to a boil. Once the pot is boiling reduce heat and cover for 10-15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Add the chickpeas, toss and fluff the quinoa and let the chickpeas heat through. Then serve! (I just put a 1/2 cup on top of a ready-to-eat bagged salad that I had.)

Remember the key to this is that you use whatever YOU happen to have handy and go with that - don't get caught up in my ingredients list - just try whatever you feel 'might' work. Odds are you will come up with something you love (because it's made up of what you already like and have around) and it will give you ideas to make all kinds of versions of this! Plus, you get more Quinoa in your diet which is terrific for vegans and non-vegans too because it packs so much nutritional punch. The other good thing about this is that if you have left-overs it works cold (or at room temperature) as well as hot from the pot.

1 comment:

Salty Miss Jill said...

This is the first time I ever cooked quinoa and wow-where has it been all my life?!?
What a perfect, delicious and filling dish. Even my husband loved it. Thanks for sharing your recipe!