Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mac 'Cheez' n Peas


One of the very few things I have actually missed since becoming a vegan is the comfort of Macaroni & Cheese. Like a lot of Vegans I am not overly thrilled by the assortment of soy cheeses available. Sure, some are very good but they aren't mac & cheese worthy. However there is a great item that makes an amazingly accurate substitute - nutritional yeast.

I do not understand the mechanics that make nooch as many call it taste like cheese - but I'm here to tell you, it does.

I got some old school elbow macaroni and while it boiled then put together a batch of Wolffies's Nutritional Yeast "Cheese" Sauce from La Dolce Vegan.
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes (not Brewer's Yeast!)
2 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 C. water
2 t. oil
1 and 1/2 t. dijon mustard (Actually I like it with a little less 1 t. seems enough to me)
1 and 1/2 t. tamari

Whisk all ingredients together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 2-4 minutes - stirring constantly. Makes approximately 1 and 1/2 cups.

Drain your mac (any type of pasta you like), pour some cheez sauce over it and if you're like me you'll throw in some peas. Peas in my mac & cheese are imperative to me. There's just something about the pops of green that make me happy. Of course you may prefer it straight up old-school or with some other veggie. Make it your own!

2 comments:

miss v said...

mac and cheeze is one of those things i am dying to make. this looks like a great recipe!

e said...

randomly came across your recipe and used it on potatoes and broccoli. works fantastic i must say. kudos