Friday, March 14, 2008

Irish Soda Bread


There is nothing like Irish Soda Bread. When I was a kid we'd only ever have it for St. Patrick's Day - if then. But I never realized how easy it is to make. Really ridiculously simple - though maybe the traditional recipe is more complex. Since I've only ever made it as a Vegan, I can't say. But vegan is best, so why quibble? The longest part of the process is the baking.

Irish Soda Bread
1 cup soy milk (rice milk works too)
1 T. apple cider vinegar
2 ¼ flour
2 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
heaping ¼ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
½ cup (or more!) raisins
3 t. caraway seeds (if you like 'em - for me they make the bread)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Add the vinegar to the milk and set aside to 'curdle'. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mixing the raisins into the flour coats them and keeps them from clumping all together in one place in the dough. When the oven is ready add the wet to the dry and mix just until everything comes together into a dough. Sprinkle a bit of flour onto a cookie sheet lined with silpat or parchment or just lightly greased. Form the dough into a ball, sprinkle a hint of flour on top and give it a little "x" slice across the top. Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Give it a toothpick test for doneness and if it sounds hollow when you tap it, it's certainly ready. Set it on a rack to cool or the bottom might get soft.

You can also throw the dough into a loaf pan if you want more uniform sandwich slices. Just remember to grease the loaf pan so you can get it out.


If you want that old-school bakery feeling, add a drop or two of green food coloring to the 'milk' mixture. Green bread makes me think of mold, but if you get a deep enough shade it's sort of festive for St. Pat's.

9 comments:

vanillabb said...

I love your blog and everything looks yummy

Aluguel de Computadores said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Just made this Soda Bread--delicious!! Used white spelt flour and 2 T Agave instead of sugar. Also, I left out the caraway seeds (b/c I didn't have them on hand and, actually, I've never had soda bread with them! I'll have to try it some time). Great, easy recipe! My 4 year old helped me make this (and eat it!)

indolencefairy said...

Absolutely delicious! Thank you!

Dazy said...

I'm trying this today. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

Landis said...

Made this tonight and it was excellent! Thank you for posting this recipe!

~*~RAINFAIRY~*~ said...

I wonder if almond milk will yield an acceptable result. I think I'll try it!
By the way, the non-vegan recipe is just as simple. I had been making it with milk+vinegar as a buttermilk sub.

Grey said...

Hey! Love the recipe. Baking Irish soda bread was one of my 100 goals, so thanx for helping me cross it off my list! :D I liked you recipe through my blog. Thank you, again!! -Grey

Quinn said...

I just made your soda bread using almond milk, whole grain spelt flour, and added pumpkin seeds. It turned out great! I made 2 loaves, making the one without raisins for my fussy pants hubby, and they tasted great!