Friday, December 7, 2007

Seitan

Making seitan at home has got to be one of the easiest things ever. Who knew? One and 1/3 cups of Vital Wheat Gluten plus one cup of veggie broth = a TON of home-made seitan. I don't think I kneaded it quite right, but practice, practice. It tasted great and lord knows there's ENOUGH of it! I was shocked at how much it 'puffs' up - it's pretty amazing stuff. FYI: basic directions for seitan are right on the box of vital wheat gluten.

Here it is in the pot simmering away. Yeah, not the prettiest thing in the world - but give it a chance!


Here it is sliced up on a plate with some mashed potatoes, baked sweet potato and kale steamed with a little garlic.


And a close-up!

If you like seitan and want to save some money, I highly recommend making it at home. You can flavor it however YOU like, it's ridiculously easy, and very satisfying (to make and eat!)

3 comments:

Paulina said...

Your seitan looks really good - mine never comes out right but I've never tried buying it already made. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Joy Keaton said...

Thank you! I think it might just be beginner's luck. ;)

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

The first time I tried making my own seitan, it was disastrous and time consuming. However, you've inspired me to try again!