Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Holiday Baking for your favorite pooch

I must thank Vicki at Vegan Vice for posting this recipe last July. (Go look and see her wildly cute Jolie enjoying her treats!) I've been meaning to make them since then but I have never been great with rolled cookies and dealing with cookie cutters. How silly. These were SO easy I can't believe it!

Vegan Dog Treats
1/2 c. cornmeal
2 c. whole wheat flour
6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2/3 c. vegetable broth

Mix it all together, roll it out about 1/4" thick and cut your cookies. I baked these at 325 for about 30 minutes until they were nice and hard. Note: I put them on parchment and a sil-pat so they wouldn't stick to the cookie sheets, but found that they were not sticking to anything when a couple slid off the parchment and baked directly on the cookie sheet. Talk about easy "cookies"!



At the end there were pieces I just couldn't roll out any more so I just pressed them into flat logs - they seem to be just as appealing to Basil as the cut shapes. He's fussy - but not that fussy!

I only have two cookie cutters - a star and a heart that I picked up 20 minutes before I started making these. The stars are small so I made more of those. My dog would eat treats endlessly so I prefer to give him smaller sized cookies so he'll feel like he's eating more. It's an old dieter's trick. But I did make a couple of hearts because they are so cute. And I do love my doggie!

I really like knowing exactly what is in his treats. And by the way, yes I did taste them. They are yummy! Hard... but yummy.

No comments: