Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cholent

Five steps to satisfaction.

1. Go buy Veganomicon.
2. Go to page 182.
3. Make this unbelievably great stew.
4. Serve it to your nay-saying "eiwww Vegan" friends and family.
5. Smirk smugly as they dig in and rave.





The meat-like substance in this stew is TVP chunks. This is the first time I've used the chunks and I tell ya, dried out and packaged they resemble nothing more than dog kibble. But once you put them into something... oy! Fabulous!

The recipe in the Veganomicon doesn't call for dumplings, but for me, stew requires them. Just for the record, dumplings made with Bisquick are super quick and easy. Well worth the extra few minutes effort.

The stew also calls for caraway seeds, which I normally don't care for. Then again I've only ever run into them in bread, Irish Soda or Rye. I'm not a fan of these seeds in bread. If you don't think you like them, use them here any way. Really. There's a subtle flavor that you won't want to miss.

I'm so glad I got this cookbook!!!

No comments: