Friday, August 3, 2007

German Chocolate Cupcakes

I haven't made anything new and exciting in the past few weeks. As evidenced by my lack of posts on this blog. My trip to Mexico really put my experiments in cooking on hold. Now I am happy to report I'm back!

Thursday is cupcake makin' day here and though the last few weeks I've been 'off', last night the cupcake batter was flowing again and world balance was thus restored. This time it's German Chocolate Cupcakes from, where else, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

This flavor was a special request (as were the Carrot Cake Cuppers I made a while back). I'm happy to finally be able to fulfill that request. Even though New York is in the midst of a heat wave, last night I was slaving over the oven. Because, for chocolate, I will suffer.

The recipes I used from VCTOTW are Your Basic Chocolate Cupcake (page 37) and Coconut Pecan Fudge Frosting (page 147). These cuppers are not necessarily a 'real' German Chocolate Cake but they evoke the flavors and they are DELISH! I keep wondering when I'm going to find a recipe in VCTOTW that I don't like! So far, I love every single recipe I've tried. Oh yes, the cupcakes are very, very persuasive in their plot to take over!!

The cupcakes themselves were easy-peasy - primarily because of the simply, straightforward and helpful directions that are the hallmark of VCTOTW. The frosting, however, was a new adventure for me. I haven't tried a cooked frosting so I was feeling the stress of hard work to come. But no, not so much.

Making cooked frosting is a lot less difficult than I'd led myself to believe. I was actually chatting away on the phone while I made this, which might not be the wisest way to try a new recipe or technique. Especially if you are math-challenged like me. In fact I did screw up the recipe a teeny bit and instead of the rice milk I measured out coconut milk to make the arrowroot slurry. Oops! Instead of kicking myself I just omitted the rice milk altogether and went full-on coconut milk. The results were yum-yum-yummy, so I figure it wasn't such a bad mistake after all.


I decorated these little yummies with a square of Lindt 85% cocoa (for that illusion of "I'm eating this for my health") that I picked up at the Duty-Free Shop as I left Mexico. I think it's a nice bow farewell to my time off and a delicious way to enter back into the amazing tastes of Vegan cooking.

No comments: