Friday, August 10, 2007

Chocolate & Vanilla Marble Cupcakes

Pretty. Yummy. And a bit of dexterity required. These are from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. As if there was any doubt.

On the left you see the chocolate batter. On the right is the vanilla.
Pouring them equally into the liners is a messy affair (I cleaned up the tin before taking the photo!)
Swirling is the next part of the process. I found that while these look pretty darned 'swirly' when you open up the cupper it is not quite as marbleized as it looks on the outside. So if you make these, my advice is to marbleize more than you think you need to - so they look as pretty on the inside as they do on the outside.
After they come out of the oven they are a little more golden and just as swirly.

I iced them with Vegan Buttercream Frosting from VCTOTW. I divided the vanilla recipe and then added a bit of cocoa to half. I wanted to recreate the swirls of the cupcakes in the icing. Unfortunately it wasn't quite the success I'd envisioned. It seems the time has come for me to get a pastry bag.

This is one of the little cakes cut open.

See what I mean about the marbelizing? It looks great on the top, but deep inside the cupcake I needed to swirl it up a bit more.

Lesson learned. Next time: Perfection!
In the meantime? They taste just fine!

5 comments:

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Chocolate & Vanilla -- the best of both worlds! Love the swirl. :)

Kumudha said...

Mouthwatering pictures!

aTxVegn said...

Marbled cake AND frosting - brilliant!

Tania said...

it looks great!
can i please get the recipe?
or at least the site from which you got the recipe from?

Joy Keaton said...

The recipe is from the cookbook Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.