Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Mexican Vacation

I'm just back from a week in Mexico! I didn't take many pictures of the food because I just wasn't thinking clearly - vacation-mode was in full swing. But I have a few I thought I'd post here.

When we first arrived we were a little early for check-in so we sashayed over to the bar to wait. Because I'm not a big drinker, I couldn't decide what to order. When Jesus, the bartender whose colorful shirt you can see on the left of the photo, mentioned mango daiquiris there was nothing more to say other than SI!! Por Favor!! I love the mangoes! My BFF and travel partner, Gary, ordered the banana version (on the left).

This is just a simple salad but I loved how gorgeous the colors came out. That watermelon is so pink - and was so sweet! There are also hunks of jicama that was marinated in herbs and vinegar (nice!) and plain ol' iceberg lettuce, which I normally pass on but even that was so fresh in Mexico that it was delish. I opted to pass on the assortment of dressings available in favor of oil and vinegar and was delighted to find the oil was olive infused with pecans! Very subtle, but very nice and something I plan to try making at home.

One of my favorite parts of the day while in Mexico at La Posada del Capitan Lafitte is the 'early bird coffee'. They prep a couple of pots of coffee (or tea) and you just grab what you want and go watch the spectacular sunrise.

A full breakfast is served later but some people (like me) just can't wait to get their coffee.
The great thing about hitting the 'early bird' service is the packages of Soles cookies. They are simple, probably considered no big deal to people in Mexico, but they are one of my all-time favorite 'bought' cookies. And when I read the label and found they are actually vegan I was just thrilled. How could they not be vegan? Look how happy they are!

For the most part we stayed at Lafitte, there's really no reason to leave paradise, is there?

But one evening we spent a couple of hours in the town of Playa Del Carmen and while waiting for our return ride to pick us up we happened on a little restaurant that was having a happy hour. Two drinks for $5. We opted for the Margaritas - don't you love the hot-pink, plastic glasses? Don't be deceived by the funky color, these were the real deal and possibly the strongest drinks I had on my entire vacation. One of these for each of us and we were both flying. It was the perfect (and cheap!) way to chill out and wait for our ride.




2 comments:

urban vegan said...

Looks like you had a bueno time and ate very well. I LOVE Playa del Carmen. I've been there a few times:

http://urbanvegan.blogspot.com/2006/11/playa-del-carmen-photo-essay.html

Gary said...

The cookie looks so happy it is almost a shame to eat it...almost. They were yummy!