Saturday, July 7, 2007

Deep, Dark Chocolate Almond Ice Cream

I have been borrowing ice cream recipes from A Vegan Ice Cream Paradise for weeks. I finally decided to try my own flavor. I am still borrowing the basics of Agnes L.'s recipes, but I'm switching it up a little. Having some fun.



1 c. soy creamer
3 c. almond milk (chocolate)
¾ c. sugar
¼ c. dutch cocoa
2 ½ T. arrowroot
1 t. vanilla extract
½ t. almond extract
½ t. chocolate extract
¼ c. roasted almonds (coarsely chopped)
¼ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips


Mix ¼ cup of almond milk with the 2-½ tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Whisk ¼ cup of chocolate almond milk with the ¼ cup cocoa, then add it, the soy creamer, almond milk, and sugar together in a saucepan.


When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken.

Stir in vanilla, almond and chocolate extracts.

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Once it cooled mine was actually a bit like pudding and had a slight skin which should be stirred up or it will 'plop' out of the pan all at once and make a mess of your ice cream maker. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions, adding the almonds and chocolate chips in the last 5 minutes.



I'm really thrilled with how this came out. It could be a little creamier, maybe 2 Cups of soy creamer and only 2 cups of Chocolate Almond Milk would fix that. This actually is like a really mushy fudgesicle, and I'm very, very okay with that!

12 comments:

gleek said...

mmm, don't you just love almond milk? it's the nectar of non-dairy heaven ;)

Joy said...

Almond milk really is especially yummy, and chocolate almond milk is almost TOO good!

Mihl said...

Hello Joy, I found your blog through Agnes' ice cream blog. This is a great recipe! I am already preparing my ice cream maker.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

that's it... I definately need an ice cream maker! This looks so good! :)

Joy said...

Mihl - Thanks, I hope you like it!

Vicki - YES, get an ice cream maker, you will not regret it!!

Gary said...

You make me wish I liked chocolate!

Joy said...

You do like chocolate, Silly.

Anonymous said...

What can you substitute if you can't have soy? Or rice or cow milk?

Joy Keaton said...

I don't imagine it would change things too much if you substituted an additional cup of almond milk for the soy creamer and maybe up the arrowroot by a Tablespoon to compensate for the 'creamy' factor.

I know that there is now an actual vegan cream substitute on the market but it's not available everywhere and I haven't tried it yet, that might be something to try (if it's not made from soy that is!)

And there are other 'milks' out there too, coconut milk would work - it doesn't add a coconut flavor and there's hemp milk as well. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

You can use cocconut milk as well and it is naturally thick and gives that creamy texture. I also like to use cream of cocconut.

Anonymous said...

You can make your own almond milk so easily from raw almonds, it's much healthier and much easier on the planet (less packaging and transport.) It's also much creamier because you control the ratio of almonds to water, and there's lots of froth from the blending that you can use for a cappuccino!

James said...

Almond milk is really yummy. I love it very much. Thanks for recipe.