Saturday, July 14, 2007

Baked "Sweet Potato Pie" Fries

On Thursdays I try to bake cupcakes because I meet friends for lunch on Fridays. This means I get the fun of baking and I have a place to take the cuppers and not have them in front of me where I can get at them. Having cupcakes in the house = dangerous! Delish, but dangerous.

This week I did not get to bake because I'm going to Mexico in a couple of days and just have too much last-minute stuff to get done. However I did make Sweet Potato Fries!

I had a few sweet potatoes sitting around and they were never going to last until I returned from vacation, so I flipped through Vegan With a Vengeance looking for something really quick and simple. I found a recipe for Sweet Potato Fries. YES!!

Unfortunately the recipe in the book calls for spices I did not have on hand. The recipe is more savory with cumin and coriander. But my 'taters needed cookin'!! So I altered the recipe to suit what I had around.
2 large sweet potatoes
1 T. olive oil
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. freshly ground nutmeg
1 t. ground allspice
a sprinkle of sea salt (optional)

In a large bowl mix together the oil and spices. Slice the sweet potatoes into long strips and throw 'em in the bowl giving a good thorough toss with the coating mixture. (It just gives the potatoes a very slight coating, for a hint of flavor without too much oil.)


After the potatoes are coated, lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet (I lined with parchment because I hate scrubbing baking sheets) and lightly sprinkle with sea salt if you like. I chose to add a touch of salt because I find a little sea salt really lets the sweetness of a yam or sweet potato shine. But it's completely optional.


Bake in a 425° oven for about 15 minutes, flip them and let them bake for another 10-15 minutes.

The 'fries' have a real pumpkin (or sweet potato) pie flavor. How could they not with these spices? And are very dessert-like. I ate them solo, I'm not sure they would work as a side dish - but as a snack or a very healthy dessert they rock!

1 comment:

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Way to go with the "pie seasonings" that must have been a yummy batch of SP fries! I'd take Mexico over cupcakes every time - Have fun, and share some photos with us. :)