Sunday, June 24, 2007

Corn Muffins

I woke up this morning and all I could think about was corn muffins. It's been ages since I've had one but corny-muffiny-goodness was SCREAMING at me. I had to make some. There really was no other option.

I grabbed my new cooking bible: Vegan with a Vengeance and opened to the Sunny Blueberry- Corn Muffins. This was just what I needed. Unfortunately I found only about a 1/8 of a cup of blueberries in the freezer. What I really wanted was a plain ol' corn muffin but this recipe sounded so fun I had to try it out. Since I had a dearth of blueberries I added cranberries with the few blues I had on hand. Because cranberries are so awesomely tart (and so plain ol' AWESOME I always have extra bags in the freezer) I sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar onto the berries while I made up the batter in hopes that it would be just enough extra sweet to counter the tartness without being too sweet. I wanted a corn muffin, remember?
The batter was ready. I was ready. I filled a couple of paper muffin cups with non-berry adorned batter (just in case those cranberries mocked me with their tartness!) Then folded in the berry mix and filled my muffin pan!
Even before they baked they looked delicious!
But after they came out of the oven all golden and smelling sweet, I was a lost cause!
I kept telling myself I wanted plain. Just a plain, ordinary corn muffin. That's all.

But who am I kidding? I popped open one of each, spread on a pat of Earth Balance vegan margarine and as soon as it started to melt - so did I.


If there is even one of these left by the end of the day it will be a certifiable miracle.

No comments: